|Parboiled rice , Raw rice
|Snacks and Starters
|Level of Cooking
Ingredients list for Onion Uttapam - SK Khazan
- 2 3/4 cups Parboiled rice washed and soaked for 4 hours
- 1/4 cup Raw rice washed and soaked for 4 hours
- 1 cup Split skinless black grams (dhuli urad dal) washed and soaked for 4 hours
- 1 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds (methi dana) (optional)
- to taste Salt
- as required Ghee
- 3-4 Medium onions thinly sliced
- 4-5 Green chillies finely chopped
- 2 Medium carrots grated
- as required Fresh coriander leaves chopped
- to serve Sambhar
- to serve Coconut chutney
- Drain and blend the two rice varieties with sufficient water into a smooth batter water. Drain and blend the split gram and fenugreek seeds with sufficient water into a smooth batter.
- Transfer both the batters into a bowl, add salt and mix well. Set aside to ferment in a warm place overnight or for at least 4-6 hours.
- Heat a little ghee on a non-stick tawa, pour a ladleful of batter, sprinkle a few onion slices, a little green chillies, some carrots and coriander leaves, drizzle a little ghee on top and cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes or till the underside is golden. Turnover and cook on other side till done. Similarly make more uttapams.
- Arrange them on serving plates and serve hot with sambhar and coconut chutney.