|Pasta, Refined flour (maida)
|Noodles and Pastas
|Level of Cooking
Ingredients list for Cannelloni With Spinach And Mushrooms
- 1 cup Refined flour (maida)
- to taste Salt
- 4 teaspoon Olive oil
- 1 Egg
- For filling
- 3 bunch Spinach chopped
- 10-12 Button mushrooms halved
- 3 tablespoon Unsalted butter
- 5 teaspoon Refined flour (maida)
- 2 cup Milk hot
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 1 cloves Garlic
- to taste Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon White pepper powder
- a pinch Nutmeg grated
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon Bread crumbs
- Place the flour, salt, two teaspoons of olive oil and egg in a bowl and knead into a stiff dough. Cover and set aside for ten minutes. Divide the dough into four portions. Work with one portion of dough and keep the rest of the portions covered with a damp cloth.
- Flatten the dough and roll out into a rectangle. Fold the sheet thrice and roll out again. Repeat this process ten times till the sheets can be rolled very thin. Boil six cups of water with salt; add the pasta sheets.
- When the sheets rise to the surface remove them with a slotted spoon and refresh in cold water. Drain and lay sheets on a kitchen towel. Brush each sheet with the remaining olive oil and place one on top of the other. For the filling, melt half the butter in a pan; remove from heat and stir in five teaspoons of flour.
- Sauté over low heat for two minutes. Gradually add the hot milk and whisk till smooth. Simmer for ten minutes, stirring continuously, till the sauce coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat, strain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. In a separate pan, melt the remaining butter over low heat; cook onion and garlic till soft, making sure that the colour does not change. Add the spinach and mushrooms and cook over medium heat for two to three minutes.
- Season with salt, white pepper powder and nutmeg. Add half the Parmesan cheese and enough white sauce to bind it all together. Lay the pasta sheets on a board. Spoon the filling along the centre of each sheet and roll up the pasta.
- Place the rolls in a buttered ovenproof dish and pour the remaining sauce over. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese mixed with breadcrumbs over the top.
- Bake for twenty to twenty-five minutes till the top is golden brown.