Most classic of Bengali dessert...a very popular recipe for festive occasions.
This recipe has featured on the show Khanakhazana.
|Level of Cooking
Ingredients list for Chennar Payesh
- Soak saffron in two tablespoons of warm milk and set aside. Boil half litre of milk. As it comes to a boil add lemon juice and keep stirring till all the milk curdles.
- Strain the whey and tie up the chenna in a muslin cloth and dip in ice water till it cools completely. Then squeeze till all the liquid drains away. Set aside.
- Boil milk, add a pinch of saffron, reduce heat and let it simmer till reduced to half the original quantity.
- Add sugar, stir and simmer till it dissolves. Mash chenna in a bowl. Add it to the milk. Simmer for two minutes.
- Add almonds and pistachios and the soaked saffron and take off the heat.
- Cool and serve.