A favourite roti from rural Gujarat.
Gujarat has long stretches of unspoilt coastline and an endless supply of fish and shell fish. But strict Jainism in the past and orthodox Hinduism today has encouraged widespread vegetarianism. The Gujarati cuisine is not heavily spiced but slightly sweeter than the cuisines of the neighbouring states.
Gujarati food is distinctively vegetarian with about 65% of its population shunning the meat. The remaining 35% of the state’s population consists of Bohra Muslims and Parsis. Bohra Muslims are the followers of Abdullah who were Hindus who adopted Muslim religion. The Parsi cuisine on the other hand is a blend of western influences.
Prep Time : 6-10 minutes
Cook time : 6-10 minutes
Serve : 4
Level Of Cooking : Easy
Taste : Mild
Chef Sanjeev Kapoor is the most celebrated face of Indian cuisine. He is Chef extraordinaire, runs a successful TV Channel FoodFood, hosted Khana Khazana cookery show on television for more than 17 years, author of 150+ best selling cookbooks, restaurateur and winner of several culinary awards. He is living his dream of making Indian cuisine the number one in the world and empowering women through power of cooking to become self sufficient. His recipe portal www.sanjeevkapoor.com is a complete cookery manual with a compendium of more than 10,000 tried & tested recipes, videos, articles, tips & trivia and a wealth of information on the art and craft of cooking in both English and Hindi.