One of the most popular and accepted forms of meat the world over; chicken is also loaded with a number of nutrients that are great for the human body. Take a quick glance at how being a ‘chickenetarian’ can work to your advantage. Also check out 5 chicken curry recipes that we are totally digging right now.
• One of the best benefits of eating chicken is that this lean meat is loaded with high quality proteins that help in muscle building. Chicken breast is one of the most classic forms of lean high protein meat.
• Chicken meat is relatively low in fat in comparison to other protein alternatives. It has 14 grams of fat per 100 grams, and without the skin you can get rid of a few more calories.
• Builds immunity and provides relief from common colds, flu’s and other respiratory ailments.
• You know how a bowl of chicken soup or curry is so comforting to eat – it’s because chicken has an amino acid called tryptophan which is a natural anti-depressant.
• Chicken meat is actually heart healthy, it does have cholesterol but the good kind (HDL) that helps keep total cholesterol levels in check and fights forms of cardiovascular disease, especially in comparisons to other forms of meat.
• It helps improving bone and teeth strength because it has good doses of phosphorous.
• According to researchers, including chicken meat in high protein weight loss plan aids weight loss in a long-term, controlled and steady manner.
Reading all these positive things about your favourite meat must have got you craving some good old chicken. Check out these chicken curry recipes that we are totally obsessing over right now - the only way to find out why is to try it out yourself.
Caramelized Pumpkin Chicken Curry
Succulent pieces of chicken breast pan fried and then cooked in a delicious creamy sauce made with caramelized red pumpkins and tomato puree. Spiced with a hint of green chilli and garam masala powder to balance out the sweetness of the pumpkins you can eat this one with any kind of bread, flatbread and even rice.
Hot and spicy Malaysian Chicken Rendang
A rending is a classic Malaysian curry made with chicken, a classic Malay fiery spice paste and coconut milk. The aroma and flavour of lemon grass and galangal comes through in each bite. Have it along with Malayasian flat breads like roti canai or roti jala which are perfect to scoop up the deliciousness that this curry is.
Kerala Style ‘Coconutty’ Chicken Curry
Chicken pieces on the bone are cooked with a spicy onion tomato masala then thickened and finished off with coconut milk. Each mouthful of this curry has the taste and aroma of curry leaves, peppercorns and coconut – 3 classic Kerala ingredients. Along with steamed rice or appams this comforting chicken curry will transport your mind to the backwaters of Kerala.
Green and gorgeous – Malvani Chicken Hara Masala
The only requisites for this luscious green chicken curry is some chicken (of course!), a big bunch of coriander, grated fresh coconut, a few dry spices, about 20 minutes of your time and a big appetite. You can select from an array of Maharashtrian flat breads to eat with this herby green masala chicken - we suggest good old rice bhakri’s, chapattis or if you don’t mind the grease, crispy deep fried vade’s.
Arabian Nights - Chicken and Chickpea Tagine
Tender chicken, mushy chickpeas, carrots and beans cooked in an earthen tagine till all the flavours are beautifully mingled and the chicken is succulent and juicy. A generous sprinkling of fresh mint leaves at the end completes this dish and takes it to another level. Have it right off the tagine with some fresh pita bread.
Want more? Keep browsing through SanjeevKapoor.com and find a ton of chicken curry recipes from across the globe!
Chef Sanjeev Kapoor is the most celebrated face of Indian cuisine. He is Chef extraordinaire, runs a successful TV Channel FoodFood, hosted Khana Khazana cookery show on television for more than 17 years, author of 150+ best selling cookbooks, restaurateur and winner of several culinary awards. He is living his dream of making Indian cuisine the number one in the world and empowering women through power of cooking to become self sufficient. His recipe portal www.sanjeevkapoor.com is a complete cookery manual with a compendium of more than 10,000 tried & tested recipes, videos, articles, tips & trivia and a wealth of information on the art and craft of cooking in both English and Hindi.