" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
|Refined flour (maida)
|Level of Cooking
Ingredients list for Jalebi
- 1 cup Refined flour (maida)
- In a large bowl, whisk refined flour, yogurt and sufficient water to a smooth and pouring consistency batter. Cover and keep in a warm place to ferment for 24 hours.
- Beat the batter with your hands again for 15 minutes. Cook sugar with 2 cups water in a deep non-stick pan on high heat, stirring continuously, till the sugar dissolves.
- Add milk and when the scum rises to the top, collect it with a ladle and discard.
- Add saffron and cook, stirring, till the syrup reaches one string consistency. Keep the syrup warm. Heat sufficient ghee in a kadai on medium heat.
- Pour some batter onto a jalebi cloth, gather the edges and make a tight potli.
- Squeeze round spirals into the hot ghee and deep fry, turning them over gently a few times, till they are evenly golden and crisp.
- Drain and soak in sugar syrup for 2-3 minutes. Take them out of the syrup and serve hot.