1. Heat one cup of water, add sugar and stir so that the sugar dissolves completely. Set aside.
2. Break the vermicelli into one and a half inch pieces. Heat ghee in a pan and add the vermicelli pieces and fry gently on low heat, stirring occasionally, till they turn evenly golden.
3. Drain the ghee into a bowl and return the vermicelli pieces to the pan. Add the sugared water, little by little, cover and cook on medium heat till the vermicelli gets cooked but not mashed.
4. Heat the drained ghee in another pan. Add slivered almonds and sauté till light brown. Remove when done. In the same ghee, add raisins and sauté till they fluff up. Drain.
5. Add vanilla essence along with nutmeg-green cardamom powder to the vermicelli and mix gently. Add the sautéed raisins and almonds and mix again gently. Serve hot with sweet yogurt.
Note: To make sweet yogurt, boil milk and set aside to cool. Add sugar and stir till it dissolves. Add a little yogurt and pour the mixture into an earthenware pot to set. Chill once set.