1. Apply a little oil and salt to your hands before handling gunda. Split them and remove the seeds. Wash, wipe dry and cut raw mangoes into medium sized cubes.
2. Take the mango pieces and gunda in a big bowl. Add one cup of salt and one teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix well. Cover and keep for half an hour.
3. Mix split mustard, split fenugreek, Kashmiri red chilli powder, Reshampatti chilli powder, asafoetida, peppercorns, remaining sea salt and turmeric powder.
4. Heat half the mustard oil to smoking point. Cool a bit and add to the mixed spices. Discard the water that has been given out from the mango and gunda mixture. Add the mango and gunda mixture to the spices and mix well.
5. Transfer into sterilized glass or porcelain bottles, packing it tightly to remove any air bubbles. Cover and keep for twenty four hours.
6. Heat the remaining oil to smoking point, cool and add it to the pickles. Again cover and keep it for at least ten to fifteen days.
7. Best is for three weeks by which time the oil will surface and the pickle will be ready to eat.