1. Pour vinegar into a deep pan and heat. Add sugar, black peppercorns, bay leaves, salt and when the mixture is hot add carrots, radishes and cauliflower.
2. Stir and take off the heat. Keep covered for about twenty four hours. Dry roast fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, split mustard till it gives out a nice aroma. Crush the spices coarsely in a mortar with a pestle.
3. Take the vegetables out of the pickling solution and keep in a bowl. Heat mustard oil to smoking point and cool. Add asafoetida to the oil and mix. Add the crushed spices to the vegetables and mix. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and mix. Add lemon juice and mix. Add the oil and mix once more.
4. Keep covered for about four to six hours and then serve.
5. If you want to keep it for some time keep it in a refrigerator but for not more than ten days.