1. Soak dhuli urad dal in one cup of water for two hours. Take atta, salt and one tablespoon of oil in a bowl and mix. Add sufficient water and knead into a dough.
2. Keep it aside covered with a damp cloth. Heat ghee in a pan. Add asafoetida, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and sauté. Drain water from the dal and add to the pan and sauté. Add red chilli powder and mix.
3. Break cinnamon stick and crush coarsely in a mortal with a pestle. Add sea salt and crush and add this to the dal mixture. Divide the dough into twelve equal portions and roll into balls.
4. Make a dent in each ball, fill it with filling and fold and shape into a ball again. Press lightly on tabletop. Roll into puris with hand or using a belan.
5. Heat sufficient oil in a kadai, slide the puris gently into oil and deep fry till the puris are puffed and evenly fried on both the sides.