1. Heat one teaspoon olive oil in a pan, add garlic and sauté till the garlic is burnt. Add onion and bay leaf and continue to sauté for a minute. Add potato, vegetable stock, salt and pepper powder.
2. When the mixture comes to a boil, cover and cook till the potatoes are done. Remove the bay leaf and add broccoli florets. Stir and bring it to a boil again. Simmer for two minutes.
3. Using a hand blender, blend the mixture to a smooth puree. Alternatively you can take it off the heat and blend in a blender till smooth. Add milk and bring it to a boil.
4. Heat remaining olive oil in another pan, add red capsicum and sauté for a minute.
5. Serve the soup piping hot in individual soup bowls, garnished with the red capsicum.