1. Mix gram flour with half a cup of yogurt, ginger, salt, soda, and enough water to make a hard dough. Knead well and set aside.
2. Grate mawa and paneer. Add green chillies and salt. Mix well. Divide gram flour dough into marble sized portions and stuff mawa-paneer mixture into them. Give a cylindrical shape.
3. Boil these stuffed gatte in three cups of salted water for ten to fifteen minutes. Drain and set aside.
4. At this stage they can be fried too.
5. For preparing gravy, heat oil, add cumin seeds, brown them and then add red chilli powder, coriander powder, asafoetida and turmeric powder. Cook until oil starts separating. Add tomato paste.
6. Lower heat and add remaining yogurt, stirring continuously. Adjust salt, add garam masala powder and half a cup of water if the gravy is too thick. Add gatte and continue to cook until gravy thickens.
7. Serve hot.