1. Place lemons in a large bowl and sprinkle salt over it. Cover and leave it for one day. On the following day, toss the lemons in the juice.
2. Take four quarters of salted lemons and squeeze out the juice into a small pan. Add sugar, three tablespoons water, red chilli powder, ginger and star anise. Bring to a boil, and cook on low heat, stirring continuously, till the sugar dissolves completely.
3. Pound together roasted mustard seeds, roasted fenugreek seeds and the green chillies. Add to the above mixture. Cook for one minute. Set aside and allow it to cool. Place the lemons in a sterilized glass jar.
4. Pour over the sugar-chillies mix. Make sure that it covers the lemons completely. Otherwise press down the lemons so that they are soaked completely. Close jar and set aside for fifteen to twenty days.
5. The pickle is now ready to be served.