1. Peel kand and wash thoroughly under running water. Heat sufficient oil in a kadai. Slice the kand thinly and place them in a bowl.
2. Add cumin seeds, black peppercorns, coriander seeds, salt and lemon juice and mix well so that the masala coats all the kand slices well.
3. For the batter mix gram flour, rice flour, red chilli powder, asafoetida, turmeric powder, salt, 2 tsps hot oil and mix well.
4. Add sufficient water and whisk into a smooth batter. Dip the kand slices in the batter, one by one, and slide into hot oil.
5. Deep fry till golden and crisp. Drain on tissue paper and serve hot.