1. Wash and soak the dal for an hour. Drain and pressure-cook with three cups of water till just done.
2. Heat two tablespoons of ghee in a pan and fry coconut pieces till golden. Drain and set aside.
3. Add turmeric powder, salt and sugar to the dal and simmer on low heat till most of its water gets absorbed and it becomes thick.
4. Heat the remaining ghee in another pan. Add cloves, cinnamon, black cardamom, cumin seeds, bay leaves, whole dry red chillies and green chillies and sauté for two minutes.
5. Then pour this seasoning into the simmering dal. Add ginger paste, fried coconut pieces and raisins and simmer for five more minutes. Serve hot with luchis.