1. Mix gram flour, carom seeds, ½ tsp red chilli powder, turmeric powder, baking soda, a pinch of asafoetida, salt in a bowl, add water as required and whisk to a smooth and thick batter.
2. Heat 2 tbsps oil in a non stick pan. Drop small spoonfuls of batter and spread into small cheelas. Shallow-fry till golden on both the sides.
3. Mix yogurt, the remaining red chilli powder, sugar and salt in another bowl. Add the cheelas to the yogurt and mix well. Heat the remaining oil in another non stick pan.
4. Add cumin seeds, remaining asafoetida and sauté. Finely chop the green chillies and add. Pour this tempering over the yogurt and mix.
5. Transfer the cheela raita into a serving bowl, garnish with fresh mint leaves and serve chilled.