1. Preheat an oven to 200ºC/400ºF. Heat two tablespoons of butter in a non stick pan. You can also use a combination of butter and olive oil.
2. Add the flour and sauté lightly, making sure that it does not change colour. Gradually add some milk, stirring continuously, so that no lumps are formed.
3. Add salt and white pepper powder and mix well. Add half the grated cheese and continue to stir. After adding the cheese, the sauce will thicken further, so add more milk to adjust the consistency.
4. Add the macaroni and toss to mix. Transfer the mixture into a seven-inch square baking dish. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the top and dot with the remaining butter. Sprinkle the remaining cheese and crushed peppercorns.
5. Bake till the cheese melts and turns golden. Serve hot.